Lparker104: Do you ever use real life experiences to help you portray your story lines in the show? Where did "baby girl" (the name you call Garcia) come from? Love the show!!!
shemarmoore: Whenever I have to perform emotional scenes, I draw from my own life experiences, so whatever the character is going through feels real.
"Baby Girl" is something I've said my entire life. I have all kinds of pet names, like Baby Boy, Pretty Boy, Sweet Cheeks, Sugar T*ts, Doll Face, Mama, Baby Mama, Wifey and a whole bunch more. I just ad libbed in a scene with Garcia in Season 1 and they kept it in the show and Baby Girl was born.
cheesefilled: Beard or no beard?
shemarmoore: Shemar likes a 5 o'clock shadow and scruff! Derek wears a goatee because it's the easiest to maintain and gives him a lil edge. If Derek was to shave off the goatee (which I'm considering), it might make him look a little too nice, and I like that Derek has a rough and tough all business facade but all you fans know he's a little softie underneath.
danielle2296: What's ur favorite episode of Criminal Minds. And are you and Kristen as close and Garcia and Morgan are
shemarmoore: Hey Danielle - my favorite episode would be Profiler Profiled and Restoration. The chemistry you see on the screen between Morgan and Garcia is because Shemar and Kirsten adore each other in real life.
MrsYoungie: Ok, I'll stop swooning. Real question: what is the ranking of the various CM characters? as in who outranks who?
shemarmoore: Hotch is the BOSS. Rossi is the wise Uncle. Pretty Boy is just pretty and way too smart, Blake is Mom, JJ is the sexy baby sister, Penelope is the fast talking, big hearted reminder that we are all human and Derek is the tough, intense gentle giant.
adprzb: hi Shemar! I love you!
- was the scene where Reid said Morgan told him anyone who cant quote Illmatic is ignorant the best moment in all of Criminal Minds? I think so (even though you're not in it).
- did you have any reservations about the storyline of Morgan being molested? did you have any fears it would make viewers see your character or you as an actor differently?
shemarmoore: Hey adprzb,
- The Illmatic moment was a great moment that the writers came up with - I like that the show maintains the big brother little brother relationship between Morgan & Reid. Morgan feels like he is the big brother protector of the team.
- As far as the molestation story line, I am not concerned about me personally being seen in any negative light, hopefully the viewers and fans appreciate my performance as an actor. I like that Derek is not one dimensional and as tough as he is, he has vulnerabilities which make him human. I was proud to be able to portray such a delicate topic that is very real for many people in life.
yuxuibbs: (I watch a lot of Criminal Minds so I was super excited to see your name on an AMA)
- What is it like playing Derek Morgan on Criminal Minds? Favorite episode(s)? Favorite quote(s)?
- Any stories about what happens behind the scenes while filming Criminal Minds that doesn’t make it to the bloopers?
- Have you read any fan fiction about Derek Morgan? If so, what are your opinions?
- Which role do you think is/was the most fun/enjoyable so far in your career?
- How long does it take for you to memorize your lines? Do you use any “cheat sheets”?
- How often do you watch the films/shows you were in?
- How often do people recognize you in public?
- Any interesting stories of what fans said/did to you that you can disclose?
PS: Criminal Minds made me want to learn a lot about the human mind and how it works. I have to say the psychology and forensics classes I took during the school year were the best classes I ever took. I even chose criminal profiling as my psychology final project.
shemarmoore: Wow yuxuibbs ... alot of questions, I'll try to answer as many as possible.
- Derek Morgan is the tough guy who kicks down doors, he's the charming guy who flirts with Garcia, he's the big brother of the team. He's proud, private, has trust issues - sometimes temperamental but very loyal. He hates bullies and will always do what he can to protect those that can't defend themselves.
- Profiler Profiled and Restoration
- "Hey Baby Girl, let's get our flirt on and keep it silly and sexy"
- We are a bunch of goofballs behind the scenes. Reid is Pretty and tells jokes, Hotch does smile once in a while, JJ is sarcastic and funny, Rossi is one of the coolest people I've ever met, Blake is the hottie from Basic Instinct, Garcia is just one of a kind and my Baby Girl for life. I get pranks pulled on me all the time, the crew has scared me with bears, rats and bats.
P.S. Your show made me choose criminology as my university major.
shemarmoore: Believe it or not, when Thomas Gibson is not being "Hotch" he is actually the biggest the joke teller of the team! He can do accents and imitate people extremely well. He loves his kids enormously and loves to show videos of them and tell jokes. But as soon as the cameras roll and the director says Action - he turns into grumpy death stare Hotch.
Legitlizzy: If you were to have a guest star on the show, who would you like to see there?
shemarmoore: It probably wouldn't be on Criminal Minds because they are established movie stars. But I would love to share the screen with Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Jeffrey Wright.
lady1876: Who on the show were you the saddest to see leave? Who do you enjoy filming scenes with the most?
- It's always sad to see anybody go that's been part of your team and your life when we spend so much time together. The recent loss of Paget Brewster has been hard to get over because her energy and talent cannot be replaced.
- I have a good chemistry with all the actor. I like going head to head in intense scenes with Thomas, I like goofing with Matthew, I like talking mess with Joe in between scenes, I like running around kicking butt with AJ and she's fun to look at (just saying) and of course, all the sexual tension with my Baby Girl Garcia never gets old.
shemarmoore: There's pranks between Shemar & Matthew all the time at work, as far as Morgan and Reid - it depends on what mood the writers are in - but YES, I will find a way to make you guys laugh and pick on Pretty Boy.
mafoo: How do you handle working with such dark material day in and day out? Ever deal with nightmares, etc. from your work on Criminal Minds?
shemarmoore: I don't take my work home with me. I know that I'm just playing pretend but my job and my passion is to bring the material to life and make it real for you. I'm grateful that the world that I play in is not the world that I live in. But it is fun to creep you guys out, to scare you and keep you on the edge of your seat.
edgarallenpotato: If you weren't an actor, what do you think you'd be doing?
shemarmoore: My original dream was to be a professional baseball player - I always dreamt of playing for the Boston Red Sox or the Oakland A's. I was really good growing up but not good enough. I'm a big believer that everything happens for a reason and cannot complain ever about the cards I've been dealt and the career and life that I'm blessed to have.
devoncarrots: Can you tell us more about "The Bounce Back" and what it's about?
shemarmoore: The Bounce Back is a heartfelt romantic dramedy which is a fun, sensitive and endearing reminder that we all want true love. Many of us have suffered heartache and heartbreak but if we can stay strong for and celebrate ourselves true love will always find us again. This movie is gonna make you laugh, it's gonna make you cry, it's gonna make you believe in yourself and be excited about falling in love all over again.
I think fan involvement is what makes this project so unique. Very often we count on our audience to merely see our finished product but with this process, they are part of the film. They aren't just helping fund it. They will be included in the process of making the movie through the entire process. I want my fans to feel as if they are apart of this project alongside the cast and crew - it doesn't matter if they gave $1 or $10,000. If they support me and this project, I want them to be part of this journey. I think that is a uniquely special opportunity that fans have never been given in the past and I think mine are loving being part of this ground breaking process.
yasmin_sato: Hey Shemar! So, besides Derek, is there any other character on Criminal Minds you'd like to play? Why?
shemarmoore: I'd love to see Derek go undercover in the storyline.
taramcdonnell: Hey me again i'm hoping u'll finally notice me i've been watching u since u started on y&r i think i was 10 do u keep in contact with anyone u used to work with? what was your favorite episode u've done for Criminal Minds? waiting patiently well trying to be patient for u to notice me i'm in alot of pain today hearing from u will make it all better lov u xc
shemarmoore: Hey Tara, I miss the Y&R days and everybody that I got to work with. Without Y&R, I wouldn't have the career that I have today.
shemarmoore: I'm starving, my dogs need to be walked so that they don't poop all over my house. I'm gonna go lay out in the sun and splash around in the pool, exercise a lil bit and talk some mess with my crazy funny friends. But just know I am a guy who believed in a dream, chased the dream and is living the dream trying to be the Best Shemar Moore that I know how to be! Whoever you are, believe in YOU and be the BEST YOU by any means necessary. I will never take my fans for granted and I will always appreciate you. Peace Out to my Baby Girls, my homies and all my fans. Nothing but LOVE.
To Read The Complete Session: Reddit.com